Friday, March 05, 2010

Mile Sur Mera Tumhara

Part 1:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq31OjsQ124&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

Part 2:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nytoo6jFfNg&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

This video was out on 26th Jan, but I never could catch it on TV that day. Then I heard quite a few people criticize the video and that increased my curiosity and I rushed into youtube to watch the video. And guess what? I was disappointed, disgusted and totally dismayed. What should have been anthem for the country just ended up being Bollywood showcase. I mean, what was Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra doing in the video? What was the need for all 3 Khans to appear, and Ranbir Kapoor and KJo? Why were the great artists of last generation just revamped to include their sons in the video, i.e., Pandit Shivkumar Sharma with his son Rahul Sharma, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan with his two sons. Why? And why were some people totally not represented. No cartoonists or painters, no classical dancers, no local flavour. All bollywood-ised!

Even the sportstars were there for a brief 5 seconds. The guys who have won medals for India at Olympics had been reduced to 5sec of airtime! No cricketers, no chess players, no tennis stars. I am totally disappointed. If this is what they came up with, after 22 years, then its just not good enough. I would rather watch the old version which has a wider appeal and gives a more earthy feeling, the sense of unity and belongingness.

Original:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Udqb14nQN0&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

No comments: